The Re Institute      calendar | past | statement | artists | proposals | contact

<-time->

Richard Baim       Peter Fulop     Hong Hong     Brigitta Varadi

August 31st to September 28th

Plus a long term installation by

Daniel Phillips and Jorge Oliveira

Opening August 31st 4pm to 7pm

Followed by a potluck

post potluck at 8:30 the  projection of

TURN OF THE CENTURY (TOTC)

The Re Institute is pleased to present work by Richard Baim, Peter Fulop, Hong Hong, Brigitta Varadi. The show is an embrace of the tactile: wool, paper, plaster or slide projected image. The connection between the artist and the materials that they work with often produces dynamic results. Often it’s as simple as acknowledging gravity…or showing time / history.

Brief statement from each artist:

Richard Baim I began working with 35mm slide projection in 1975. Since then I have worked with projected still imagery to create narratives – sometimes complex and deep, other times humorous, and/or nefarious and dark. TURN OF THE CENTURY (TOTC) was the culmination of many years of learning the technique of computer-programmed slideshows using multiple projectors (6 slide projectors originally). It was first shown in 1989 at Los Angeles’ MoCA, then in 1991 at San Francisco’s MoMA, and lastly, 1992, in a solo exhibition at The Hood Museum at Dartmouth College. I am excited to bring this work up-to-date and exhibit it in a new, digital format, and specifically in this venue where I’ve previously shown some of my latest photographic print work. This current presentation represents a deep dive into the digital aspect of multi-image artwork. This digital version of TOTC religiously adheres to the visual character of the original 35mm slide composition, and purposefully employs no effects not found in that projected piece.

Richard Baim

TOTC #014

Projected

96x192

Peter Fulop

My work explores the perception of reality as it changes by the momentary experience. In this new site-specific body of work, using unfired local clay/adobe the work emerges from a process of conversation or exchange of energy with the medium while seeking to exploit the elemental process of material intertwined with the use of gestural actions 2

PeterFulop

Nobu

Clay, Glaze

6" to 13"

Hong Hong

In De Anima, Aristotle compares the soul to wax, as a material capable of holding the imprints of all that we experience. Paper does something similar, and papermakers refer to this quality as paper’s memory. Like skin or the ridge of a mountain, paper remembers the way it was born and what happens to it while it lives. Even in death, it stands as a testament to its demise. The qualities which compel me to make paper are ones that seem to be the most fundamentally human. 2

Hong Hong

Composition for Holding the Whole

2015 to Present

Kozo water dusts unpollen fiber reactive dyes repurposed paper

156" x192"

Brigitta Varadi

Through my work, I explore pattern and repetition of gesture that relate to the invisible, everyday rituals of working life. Research and the intersection between art and cultural heritage play a key role in my creative process with finished work often integrating experimentation and new techniques. I examine disappearing traditions and daily activities of small, secluded communities around the world 2

Brigitta Varadi

Niko and Bart

2016 & 2017

Icelandic sheep wool, merino wool, silk gauze

63" x 63"